Thursday 2 October 2014

High Return Rate Among Executive Condominium Buyers - No Cause for Concern

Early last month, The Straits Times ran an article on high return rate among Executive Condominium (EC) buyers. Reasons given range from inability to secure loan, lower mortgage servicing ratio (MSR), cancelled marriage plans and so on.


Based on my experience, returning units due to financing issues and not meeting Minimum Occupation Period (MOP) is highly unlikely.

When I registered my application or e-Apps for Lush Acres on 14 July 2013, I have to submit my income statement. If you exceed the maximum income ceiling of $12,000 a month, you cannot register your application.

If I am an existing home owner, the agent will ask me to login to MyHDBPage and check whether I have fulfilled the five years MOP.

As for loans, there are bank staff around to assist. Furthermore there is usually a one month period after e-Apps before you are invited to select an unit (I was invited to select an unit on 17 August 2013 but I opt not to). This period is long enough for you to determine your maximum loan for the unit.

The more likely reasons could be cancelled marriage plans (but I have heard of people not cancelling the agreement and find another spouse over the next three years), loss of income and perhaps jitters over the current property market conditions.

So buyers could have chose to give up the purchase because they think prices will ease further down the road.

My advice is don't give up the purchase. EC prices are unlikely to ease. Simply because of the 15 months rule imposed by the Government. This has unwittingly created a period where there are no launches of EC projects resulting in pent up demand. But down the road, the property market is expected to stabilise.

That being said, I feel that the application rate for new EC projects are likely to hover around 2 as there is a steady supply of Build-to-Order flats and softness in the HDB resale market.


Next I will explore how much higher can a developer price their EC projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment